Tuesday 12 April 2011

Practice Walk Hastings to Brighton 11 April

Good morning campers!!!

Well I slept very well last night woke up once and didnt even think about the mummy sleeping bag!

It took ages to move and very slowly I started to pack up. But at least I could do it standing up! This was to be the last day of my adventure! I felt very tired but considerably cheered when my neighbours emerged saying that they had slept badly as they had shared a sleeping bag in a bid to travel light! Blokey then admitted it had been a hard travel the previous day - they had walked from Eastbourne but had walked all the way. I suddenly felt incredibly smug as I had carried my back pack - perhaps not as far but it was heavier and they were 20 years younger he he he!

Anyway coffee less and only museli AGAIN I set off with the plan to get the first cafe I find at Newhaven 2 miles down the route. I go past the forgotten village of Tide Mills and into Newhaven and find Walleys Cafe is a fantastic workmans cafe a BIG breakfast and coffee I am ready to really start my journey after all it was only 11.30 by then.
Now just let me find my way - only let me sort out my pack better as it is already bugging me!
I don't know whether it was because I was tired or had badly packed my rucksack but the bloomin tent was not staying where it should. And to make it worse I couldnt find my way regardless of the map or anything! So I called at a charity shop and bought two belts which eventually helped once I got them set ( must buy bungeees!) and accosted an older lady who cheerfully told me the direction and said that she had walked that route a couple of years back! Cor this should be easy!!!! Thank heavens cos yesterday was definately hard work. Funny how people can be deceptive!
It was easier and relatively well signed but it did seem a long route. Thankfully the wind was in my face and it was hot and there was lots to see and people to chat to. My only difficulty was in trying to work out where each cove was and get my head round the distances!
I was really glad to get to the Saltdean Lido and felt really relieved once I had soaked my feet in food bags with water and meths! If you havent tried it - do! It worked a treat and really eased off the blisters. By now I had a 2inch square blister on my left foot and one of equal diameter on the right but it crawled under my toes - not very comfy! But the soaking did work and as I put on my boots I felt that I had new feet - well until I had walked about 200 metres and then I felt the squelch of a burst blister but funny enough it was easier than before! Gory I know but it was all part of the pleasure of the journey!

About 10 minutes later the weather had changed to needing a jumper and a decidedly stormy looking sea - how quick was that? 2 miles later I came to the Brighton Marina IT IS HUGE and a full village - I walked up over the hill above it and I was grateful having to walk through might have tempted me to stop as I hate town walking! Only downside was that the bus I would need to take back to Eastbourne was passing me every 10 minutes!!!

But I did walk to the pier entrance just so that I could honestly say that I had walked to Brighton - but I was seriously glad to get on the bus and aim for home.

This stretch was aproximately 12 miles therefore in total 34 miles not as much as I thought but to be honest a very creditable adventure!

Given that I had travelled 22 of these miles with my back pack I feel that it was quite a test! And none too shabby at that - I weighed my pack when I got home and it was a 29 LB weight so my packing was not too over the top - unfortunately my own weight was not impacted but hardly the end of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment