Monday 16 May 2011

Postcard 4 Minehead to Porlock Weir 11.5 miles of moderate grading

Well the wind blew so hard all night I thought the fly sheet had come loose!! But 6am and everything is bright and calm. I showered, had breakfast and eventually caught the school bus to Minehead. The kids were amazing and so polite it was scary!! I have been on school busses before and this was nothing like any that I had been on before!

Anyway we got into Minehead , took the obligatory photos and set off. The main hill of the day was North Hill and it took over an hour to climb through the woods! Mind you I did stop a couple or three times. We then walked steadily in glorious sunshine and eventually came down at Hurlestone Combe - this is a dry valley and just keeps going down and down. We stopped at a tea room for a baked potatoe and decent coffee! - Both of which I was grateful for. In the wonderful sunshine of Bossington I sat sand watched as a cheeky robin flew down to the table next to me and litterally pecked the strawberry jam off the scone of a cream tea! He then jumped to another table and when shooed he returned to the original table and as the owner of the tea sat with the pot of jam the robin dipped his beak into the pot and emerged with jam dripping from his beak! Everyone was amazed at the little fella. It transpired that the three people at the table were also doing the SWCP and were staying in Porlock too.

We then walked on to Porlock Weir following the marsh route. Part of the area is a nature conservation area and there are some very dead trees on the marsh which gives it a very lunar effect. The path then goes along the shore which is very pebbly and was quite difficult to walk in comparison to the rest of the walk.

When we got to Porlock Weir Hiro and I had a very pleasant sit down to watch the world go by before walking through the woods up to Porlock to the campsite via the 'all sorts' shop to get meths for the cooking stove. Hiro was wonderful and when we got back to the site he was starving and quickly wanted to go to sleep. I wasnt far behind him to be honest - Ironically as soon as we got to the site the wind kicked up again and I knew we would be in for a windy night! However Hiro refused to come into the tent that night - I have a feeling he was a little scared of sleeping inside a plastic bag!

Tomorrow we need to get an early start as the last bus from Lynmouth is 5pm and I really dont want to miss that!

ps in the book it says 9.5 miles but the walk back to the site was a further 2 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment