Monday 16 May 2011

Postcard 8 Lynmouth to Combe Martin 13 miles strenuous grading!!!

After a night of thunder and lightening (which Hiro slept through- bless him) we caught the bus to Lynton from Combe Bartin. When we got there we vistied the farmers market and bought postcards. Very touristy!!!
We were very close to the railway (basically a lift from Lynmouth to Lynton!) so we headed there to look for the acorn signs - not a one! Then we read the book which suggested we took Hallidday Hill as that was more rewarding and would get us to North Walk anyway. So we followed it - at this point Roaland Tarr and the SWCP become conflicting in directions so we just end up trying to find our own way!!!! Nothing major but time consuming and and scary as I am aware it is going to be a long day!
We found the Valley of Rocks and was in awe of the hight of someof the rocks. Anyway Castle Rock was where it all came together but by that time I had climbed Castle Rock and was looking for a down path the other side - nealry killed myself in the process and lost my highly valuabele UNISON sun hat! It was a short walk to Lee Abbey and Roland T and SWCP came into conflict again but I got there in the end and walked down to a little cottage. Just before Lee Abbey there was a baby deer stuck in a field - there was quite an audience watching the poor thing! Fortunately the park keepers were on the their way to sort it out.

Anyway true to the path we passed all the usual points but the views were fab and going through the wwods we were ready for dinner at the Hunters Inn. To say I was gutted that the kitchen was closed at 3.30 was an understatement! I knew the next bit was going to be difficult and I could really do with being fed before I started out on a 900 foot climb to the top of the highest point of the whole walk.
A lovely couple offered to give me alift to nearer Combe Martin - it was very tempting but I knew that I would have to return so decided to set forth and accomplish my journey - it was now 4pm and I set off determined to get it done!
The only worry I did have was that I needed to have a good pace as the light would go and thenI could end up on the hills in the dark!

The walk from Heddons Mouth to the top of Cleve was not as bad as I thought it would be but around Peter's Rock was really scary! Ironically in the SWCP guide it says that it should not be contemplated if it is not good weather - I was on it and going round before I realised - I must learn to read a map I could have got into loads of trouble! It was at this point that the wind started to blow and I ended up putting Hiro on his lead just to make sure that he didnt blowoff the hill!

I begun to have a lot of sympathy for the girl on the hill down to Hunters Inn who took fright and scuttled down the hill in fear.

I then managed to lose my way as there was a path diversion which meant I walked up the path and then along the road to Combe Martin and ended up at Holdstone Down Fork. Imagine my great disappointment and fear to realise that this was 5 miles from my destination - I was sure I had travelled further and it was now about 6pm :(
However I finally found an acorn that got me back on the beaten path by now I was fully dressed in t-shirt, jumpers and jacket it was windy and very cold!
Along Red Cleve and towards Great Hangman. Now the guide says this is 2 miles - it felt much less however the next 3 miles were definately much further . Down and through Sherrycombe up and over Great Hangman and towards Little Hangman by this time the sun was showing signs of setting and I was having nightmares about getting caught on the hills! I saw the signs to go up to Little Hangman's viewpoint but decided to give it a miss! The sheep were baffled that Hiro and I were out on the hills so late in the evening after all this was their territory at this time of the evening. We found a footpath down to Combe Martin and walked down to civilisation Whew I was getting a little worried about getting caught but I DID IT!!!
I celbrated with a delicious lamb kebab but I wasn't sharing - I have to share my tent with Hiro and I wasnt taking any chances!

No comments:

Post a Comment