Monday 16 May 2011

Postcard 7 Combe Martin to Lee 8 miles 'ish

Today, due to the bus service being non existant between Lynmouth to Combe Martin during the week I decided to do the next stretch first and then to back track to Lynmouth the following day (Saturday)

So I thought that today was going to be an easy day - not too far, but there was to be a stretch that would be quite strenuous near the end.

Up and at them - we were going to leave early to make up for our lazy day yesterday! The path was virtually outside the camp so there was no getting lost today! It was a bit hilly but nothing like the previous days or was I getting fit? The path took us through Watermouth Valley Park and this was a truly beautiful spot. As we walked along the edge of the site we saw some very dramatic cliff edges and some really stunning little islands dotted about in front of some secluded coves. It was quite overwhelming to realise that there were so many little coves that could only be accessed by sea. Now I know that many would say that this fact is written in many a book but to actually see it was quite a thunderbolt!
At Watermouth harbour the tide was in so we had to take the road route but it wasnt far but very busy. Much of the walk was shaded by trees but the temmprature was rising.

Further along we got to Rillage Point where I saw a large black bird sunbathing and drying his wings whilst sitting upon a large rock that was way below me! I was later told that it was a shag! Anyway at this point, in attempting to work out where I was, I checked the guide that mentioned the coastguard cottages I looked all along the coast and couldnt see them so thought I had either missed them or that I hadnt got quite that far. It was only as I turned to follow the path that I spotted them further up the hill behind me DOH!

We walked into Hele where there was a little caravan park right in the middle of the village on the edge of the cliff. We then climbed up and over Hillsborough and dropped slowly into Ilfracombe which brings you into the working harbour. Hiro was fascinated with the wonderful smells and being fete'd by all onlookers. He is beginning to feel like a superstar! We walk up into the town to find a cashpoint and some late breakfast it is then that I realise that it is nearly 12 and I am quite surprised that it is that late!
Anyway fry up for me and sausage and mash for Hiro (who thinks it is his birthday!) We are now ready to set off again but not before I buy some shorts from a charity shop as it is now so hot that I am beginning to burn!

All sorted we head for Woolacombe knowing full well that we have to get there for 5 or we wont be able to get back to Combe Martin - the busses are beginning to become a difficulty to my journey.

We set off towards Woolacombe which takes us past the unusual shaped theatre. As we go up the hills and out of Ilfracombe it was fortunately blowing enough to keep us sufficiently fresh and invigorated. We kept going upwards passing the bay where the male and female bathers had their own cove and a guard to protect the womens honour!

Hiro and I pressed forward feeling in good spirits towards seven Hills where we met 4 women who were walking our way. We got got chatting and these Austrian women were totally besotted with Hiro who naturally flirted in his own cheeky way. We fell into walking along together and continued towards Lee which was a half way marker. By the time we got there it was 3.30 and the worst part was still to be done - It was marked as strenuous and there was 5 miles to be done! Knowing my wonderful pace of walking I decided to call it a day and join my new found friends in a cream tea in the Grampus Inn - although a pleasant enough and helpful pub the crockery left a lot to be desired! Together we joined forces and got taxis back to Ilfracombe and then I got the bus back to Combe Martin - not as far as I would have liked but given the bus service as far as I could reasonably go without getting into difficulties - a little frustrating but I could pick it up at a later point.

Regardless thanks to a very relaxed cream tea and long conversations I got back to the site at 8pm - Race you to bed Hiro!! Another long day tomorrow woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment