Monday 16 May 2011

Postcard 5 Porlock Weir to Lynmouth 14.3 miles moderate grading

Well I slept well but Hiro looked a little less refreshed having slept in the car however I think he would have happily curled over and gone back to sleep given the option!

Anyway because we wanted to get an early start we set off as early as we could and left Porlock around 7.30am.

We walked back down to Porlock Weir this time by road. The sun was already shining and as we walked we quickly warmed up and got moving. However when Hiro met 2 dogs on the beach he was rather snappy - most unlike him so think he hadnt yet got his happy head on!

Once we got down to the beach to start the official route we set off on a 2 mile walk up through woods to Culborne Church - this is the smallest church in England still holding regular services- it only holds about 30 people! It was gently nestled in a tiny valley and looked quite beautiful and serene.

Further on in the walk going through the woods I saw the sisters fountain which is amazing as it seems so far from anything civilised. In all honesty it is a mamorial ediface with a double trough just behind it! However the idea that this fountain is so distant from the rest of the world makes it all the more romantic!

There had been a couple of high bits near the edge as we walked along but I was soon to learn that there was worst to come! On this walk it had to be near Countisbury where the coastal path goes round the Foreland point - you have a choice between going round the point or going over the hill to the county road where a pub and the church can be inspected. I sat at the signpost for about 10 minutes panicking over which way to go. For me the choice was over a steep hill (and I was really tired by then ) or going round the edge of the point. I madly, chose the latter and soon discovered this really did mean on the edge of the hill I was terrified and it seemed to go on for ever!

At the bottom of the very long hill I walked into Lynmouth and realised that the only real way to get the bus was to go up the lift to Lynton - this felt like a step to far. It was at this point I was called over by the 3 people I had seen the day before in Bossington with the robin who had just finished their walk - they must have just been in front of me for most of the walk! As we sat and talked over a drink they kindly offered to me a lift back to Porlock this was a double bonus as it meant I didnt need to catch the bus and I didnt need to go up the bloomin lift! Woo hoo how lucky was that?

Back at the tent I was shattered and Hiro and I decided to have an early night! - Again the wind was to blow! We also were going to move camp the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment