Thursday 9 June 2011

Postcard 10 rain rain and hail stones!

Today (Monday)the plan was to go back to Lee and continue my walk towards Croyde and further ideally Braunton as that is where Lobb Fields is!
Anyway following a little windy but wet night I decided to set off with the thinking that it could only get better. To get to Lee we needed to walk into Braunton (1 mile) then get a bus to Ilfracombe and then a connecting bus to Lee. As there was only 3 buses a day to Lee it was important to get there asap! By the time Hiro and I got to Ilfracombe we had had 2 rainfalls that were sufficient to make Hiro rather keen on missing puddles and raindrops and diving in doorways seemed to be his ploy! It was clear that he was not enjoying this so we went and bought an all singing windproof, waterproof padded coat! To say he looked even less impressed is an understatement but he wore it with good grace but hardly with an impassioned thank you!

We got on the bus to Lee and as we were driving down to the bay it began to hail great big lumps! There is no way that I was going to go out in that and Hiro was visibly disturbed that he was going to have to go out in it! The bus driver chuckled when I told him I was going back with him! I know it was pathetic but the walk from Lee was deemed to be a little strenuous and approximately 5 miles before I would reach Croyde and I genuinely do not believe in getting wet for the sake of it. So we headed back home!
Walking back from Braunton to the campsite we got soaked to the skin and it seemed to underwrite the sense of not going walking today! As I got back to the tent I discovered that the 2 couples that I had seen through out my adventure was on my site. I stood talking to the 'stay at home wife' moaning for quite some time. It felt good to have a moan but felt humbled that they had gone walking and were getting very wet!
After a reviving cat nap we drove into Barnstaple and I found the only internet access point apart from the library which was charging a rediculous £2.30 per 1/2 hour!!!
So 1 and 1/2 hours later I emerged having completed an application cv and getting back in touch with the real world!
Forcast is better for tomorrow - so bring it on or else I am going home - cant see the point of paying campsite fees if I am not walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment