Thursday 9 June 2011

Postcard 14 Clovelly - Hartland Quay 10 miles

Rise and Shine - today is going to be another strenuous day! We set off from Clovelly in full rain gear - I thought I don't do rain! Anyway fortunately it soon gives way to pleasant walking weather and although the pace is faster Graham kindly trails behind with me and does all the standard tactics to keep me on track! Hiro has now got a crush on Amber and is following her everywhere! This looks at best odd and at worst ridiculous as he is so tiny and having to do 3 steps to every 1 of Amber's!
Immediately we start with hills and steps and for a little while I am coping but I soon fall behind as I stagger up steps and hills sounding like a steam train!
The fantastic thing about walking with others is that you dont have to read maps but the downside is that you haven't got a clue what you are passing especially if you are really feeling like you are having to march!
We go past Blackchurch Rock and I naively ask if it is Hartland Point! I was soon to discover that it wasn't that was much more impressive! We do eventually hit Hartland Point and that is quite a nice point with signal masts and a tea hut about a mile on from that! A very welcome stop! I managed to lose my lens cap for my camera as we approached the lighthouse and when we reached the tea house 2 people that we had seen on our path were at the tea house - it transpired that they had found the cap and realised that it could be mine and had jumped in their car and tracked us down at the tea stop! I was incredibly relieved to have it returned but felt really bad as I had no money with which to buy them at least a coffee for all their trouble.
We reached Hartland Quay which was a wonderfully hidden little pub/ hotel / museum and car park! A very successful end to a lot of walking and walking with 3 others for the past 2 days had shown me that I really do prefer sole walking most of the time if it were not for lack of conversation because Hiro although expressive is not such a good conversationalist!

No comments:

Post a Comment